Unlike Xbox One and Playstation 4, Nintendo Switch cannot be streamed directly using its console. However, streaming Nintendo Switch is still possible in Twitch using the right equipment. Follow our easy guide and we will show you how to stream Nintendo Switch on Twitch.
What you will need to stream Nintendo Switch on Twitch
Unfortunately, there is no Twitch app on the Switch console, so you will need to broadcast using a streaming software and a video capture card. Upon research, it seems that a lot of Twitch streamers opt for the OBS Studio for streaming and an Elgato HD60 S for the video capture card.
To be exact these are the full list of equipment you will nee to stream Nintendo Switch on Twitch:
Twitch recommends you use a PC with minimum requirements of 8GB RAM and at least an Intel Core i5-4670 Processor. The newer the graphics card, the better your performance in streaming.
OBS Studio is a free streaming software that is available for both Windows and macOS Computers.
Elgato Game Capture HD60 S
Technically capture devices that support 1080p resolution and 60 fps work well with OBS Studio. Having said that, the Elgato work elegantly with OBS Studio. They are very easy to install and quite affordable. As previously said, Elgato Game Capture HD60 S is the most frequently used capture device by Twitch streamers.
This is optional and will only be needed if you want to be seen playing the game while showing the game feed.
A microphone or headset
These two are optional, but they tend to enhance the audio quality substantially during your stream.
Set up a Twitch Account
Lastly, you will need to set up a Twitch account unless you already have one.
How to connect your Nintendo Switch to your Computer
To be able to stream on Twitch, you will need to connect your Nintendo Switch console to your computer. You can still view your gameplay on your television with this setup.
The following steps assume that you will be using the recommended Elgato Game Capture HD60 S. However, please note that they also work with similar capturing devices.
- Firstly, ensure that your Nintendo Switch is in the dock.
- Next, find the HDMI cable that runs from the dock to your TV. Unplug the end that is connected to your TV and then proceed to plug it into your capture device.
- Insert the Elgato Game Capture HD60 S USB cable into your computer. This will feed the gameplay to the OBS Studio.
- Find the HDMI cable provided by the Elgato Game Capture HD60 S and connect it to the HDMI Out port on the device. Insert the other end of the cable into the HDMI In port in your TV.
How to use OBS Studio to stream Nintendo Switch to Twitch
- Sign in to your Twitch account and navigate your Dashboard.
- Select your Profile icon and then click on Account Settings from the selection.
- Choose the Channel and Videos tab.
- In this tab, you will find a section ‘Primary Stream Key‘. Click on the Copy button. This will copy your stream key to the clipboard.
- Next, go back to your OBS Studio, click on File and select Settings. Then choose Stream from the menu and ensure that Twitch is selected. Paste the key into the field and press OK.
There you have it! OBS Studio will now broadcast your stream to Twitch. Now it’s time to add your Nintendo switch as a media source.
- Right-click in any place in the OBS Studio. A context menu will appear. Select Add, and then choose the Video Capture device.
- Give a name to this layer. Make sure that it is unique and clear since every media source you add to OBS Studio will have its own layer.
- Locate your capture device from the media source list.
- At this stage, you should see a live feed appear from your Nintendo Switch in OBS Studio. The video may be resized and moved anyway you like.
- The same process should be repeated for your webcam and microphone/headset. However, in case of a microphone, the OBS Studio should detect this automatically.
- Once you are ready to begin, click on Start Streaming button at the bottom corner of the OBS Studio.
For screenshots on the steps above, visit here.
Nintendo Switch may require some equipment, but the steps to start streaming are relatively simple. However, Nintendo has a strict policy on streaming Twitch videos to YouTube. So if you intend uploading to YouTube, the best option is to join the Nintendo Creators program so as to avoid being taken down.